Thursday, February 14, 2013

The if-handed monster

Not left-handed, not right-handed. I'm the other one.

If I'm doing this particular activity then I'm a lefty, if I'm doing that particular activity then I'm a righty. So this must make me… if-handed? 

I'm not talking ambidextrous. Mostly it's one or the other rather than either.


But wait, there's more! My if-handedness is paired.


But even an oddity like me can be explained.  

First, I am mostly a lefty. Like all southpaws, I have grappled with right-handed scissors (my left hand lost that battle), right-side dials on wristwatches, right-sided mice and number pads on computers, and on and on. It is a cruel world.

Second, playing musical instruments is part of my story. I had ample opportunity and motivation to develop my "weaker" right hand as I learned to play piano and guitar.

Finally, it seems logical that once I was on this path it was natural to continue down it. Gradually, slowly, I became the if-handed monster that I am today.

Look away, I'm hideous!