Sunday, December 29, 2013

It was forty years ago today...

Gary in his studio up north and 
me drifting in ghost-like from 
my remote southern location.
My pal Gary Locke and I taught each other to play guitar 40 years ago. As soon as we learned 3 chords (E, A and C!?) we started writing songs, inspired by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and J.R.R. Tolkein's Lord of the Rings.

It's a long way from Truro MA to Burlington NC, and we've been apart for forty years now, but here we are starting a remote file-swapping music project, playing "together" while hundreds of miles apart after all these years.


Let's call these songs in progress. We'll see what unfolds. Gary brought in his drummer Ken Birchall to help out. Perhaps there will be other guest stars. Hmm. Who knows? As Neil Young says, life is exciting! So far, here are two instrumentals in progress. Vocals might be added, or vocals might show up in other songs. 


The first song up is Gary's instrumental acoustic fingerstyle song, which I added a harmony duet fingerstyle guitar part, plus the bass. My working title, to be confirmed, is "Glad to See Ya" since I hear those words in the main riff, and because it is the sentiment I am feeling towards my old pal after all this time. The second song is a rock rework of my "I Know What You're Thinkin'".

Enjoy the process and progress and stay tuned for more!